Out in the World |  Cities |  Laos |  People |  China Portraits

Monday, January 09, 2006

I took this picture in Ruili, the launching point of a trip from China into Myanmar. The girl in the picture is Burmese (in the sense that she is from Myanmar), and she was the first I saw with the yellow paint on her face. This is called Thanakha and is used as a beauty product, as a cleanser, and as sunscreen. Much of the time women and children just smear this on their arms and faces. Sometimes, however, there is much more thought put into the application, and to a wonderful effect.  Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Fran Friel said...

Alan,

The pics of the people and places you're sharing have blown me away. I hope it's okay with you, but I've blogged a link to your site.

This is gorgeous work and and you have an amazing eye for people and photography (and words).

Thank you for sharing your work!

Fran
Yada Feast

2:56 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

I don't understand why people aren't commenting more on your pictures..they are fantastic! I am also going to link to your site.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Buffy said...

This is an amazing site. Absolutely amazing.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Alan Brinker said...

Hey, thanks for all of your nice comments about this page. I am glad that all of you are enjoying them, and the positive words always help!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home